HVAC and plumbing design engineers have a tough job. They’re tasked with creating comfortable building spaces while optimizing energy usage and maximizing space. Naturally, they need to do ALL of this while minimizing the budget and ensuring that the HVAC system will last until all the people who remember the project have retired. (Granted, the latter half of that statement was a joke…sort of.) While we always recommend working with our sales engineers for the best system selection for your application, we understand that engineers may want to do some quick calculations prior to enlisting a manufacturer’s rep.
We’ve gathered ten convenient selection tools and resources for design engineers that may make the job a little easier. Pro tip: Bookmark this blog post for a convenient reference tool.
- Bock Water Heaters Intellisizing: This handy tool lets engineer select the application, like Apartment, Nursing Home, Dormitory, and more, along with operating parameters. Then you can select common fixtures for that application along with flow rates and supply temperature. You can input the max number of heaters and storage tanks, oversize percentage and more.
- TACO Comfort Solutions HS2 Software: With this software, you can design and compare HVAC systems, eliminate recalculation time for changes, calculate plant total loads and flows, size pipe and equipment, select and schedule equipment, and make HVAC system design changes quickly and easily.
- Raypak SureSpec for Domestic Hot Water System: Select water heaters that best meet specific job requirements.
- Griswold Product Selection Software: This software helps engineers size and select both the Griswold QuickSet Manual Balancing Valves and the Griswold Actuated Ball Valves.
- AERCO Technologies PDF Downloads: Whether you’re looking to compare condensing boiler efficiencies, learn more about condensing flue gases, find out about self-descaling coil, other other boiler topics, AERCO offers a variety of 2-page PDF downloads. Perfect for the new HVAC design engineer or someone who needs a short refresher, these PDFs are a handy, quick resource.
- Metraflex Calculators: Metraflex, which offers thermal, vibration, noise, and seismic solutions for pipes, has a variety of helpful calculators and tools. They offer the Globe vs. Wafter energy savings calculator to compare savings of using a Globe Silent Check Valve over a Wafer style. Additionally, they offer the MetraSeal and Off Center Seal Creator and the LPD Y Strainer Energy Savings calculator.
- Acorn Master Mixing Valve Sizing Calculator: This tool helps you size and select the correct master mixing thermostatic valve based on a variety of project types and parameters.
- PURE Humidifier Load Calculator: This calculator offers both direct entry and values calculation for both direct steam injection and atmospheric steam.
- Franklin Control Systems Product Selection Wizard: Answer some questions about your application and the wizard will generate a list of recommended products.
- Shipco Pump & Motor Selector: Use non-vacuum along with water pump and air pump vacuum along with flow rate and discharge pressure to select pumps and motors.
These are only 10 of the resources available for HVAC and plumbing engineers. The list doesn’t include what we perceive as the top two resources: ASHRAE and your local manufacturer’s rep. ASHRAE offers journals and resources along with standards that every building design must adhere to. Your local manufacturer’s rep has significant insight into the best products for your application.